Thousands of people have improved their own symptoms of various mental conditions through the use of an inexpensive over-the-counter supplement I used and wrote about. This is not medical advice, of course, and people must make their own choices.
Here is the latest case study:
A little background here before I begin with the test results. I’m 37 and at age 15 I contracted mononucleosis on a trip with my Dad. I was prescribed a high dose of Prednisone to cure the mono, and at age 16 I started developing symptoms of bipolar manic depression and chronic anxiety attacks.
I’ve been on medication for both issues since then. I continue to take those medications. I had never heard of NAC until I visited Cernovich.com, and had never considered high doses of GABA for anything until I saw you talk about it on your Twitter feed.
Being in a bad spot last month I said “f-ck it,” went and purchased the Jarrow NAC you recommended, and got a large container of 700mg GABA capsules to boot. I told you I’d get back to you in a month with the results.
Dosing: Two Jarrow NAC tablets a day, once in the morning on an empty stomach, and one around 4-5 PM EST. Two capsules GABA (1400 MG) in the morning and at night. Add an extra 1400 MG if I know it’s going to be a high anxiety day,
As with any brain/body hack, your mileage may vary.
After 30 days here are the results:
1. I sleep better. I’ve never really slept great until I started with the high dose GABA. It does damn wonders for someone who never really dreams and has poor sleep quality.
2. Less stress at work and at home. My job requires me to be fairly people friendly, but I’ve been quite the curmudgeon until the last month. Now I just don’t worry about anything and my positive energy spreads to my business partners, my employees, and the public groups we work with.
At home I don’t stress over a damn thing anymore. I used to wake up grumpy and come home grumpy. Now I just focus on being happy which makes everyone in the house happy.
3. Sex life goes through the roof. Turns out my wife doesn’t really care for curmudgeonly behavior. It turns her off. When I’m happy and courteous and grateful she wants more sex. With two kids and zero energy after work it’s a win-win!
4. Better mental clarity. I used to have to take 200 mg of Modanfil a day just to function cognitively at the best levels, Mike. Now the Modanfil is like the pill in Limitless–I take it if I want to, but I don’t need it anymore.
5. Reduction in mood swings. Bipolar disorder’s primary bitch is that you have these manic highs and depressive lows. I swear the NAC has done better for me than the doctor prescribed Lamictal ever did. At the very least it’s a great compliment.
6. Better performance under high stress scenarios. So I hate a couple of things that are everyday tasks with wrinkles. These would be things like getting groceries in the rain or picking up my kids in the rain. Some days at work I know there’s going to be a ton of tension due to the amount of surgeries my wife will perform. An extra dose of GABA means I perform better in these situations.
7. Less Benzo Dependency. I was prescribed high powered Valium (10 mg 3x daily) for my anxiety attacks. In the last 30 days I’ve taken one. Previously I was at 3x per day each month.
Mike, thank you for suggesting I try NAC and high dose GABA. It’s a small, inexpensive brain hack that’s done wonders for me and mine. I continue to tell people they may not like you, but your advice never steers people wrong if they listen.
A few notes from this case study:
No one – including me – is saying anyone should quit taking medications. N-A-C is a well-researched augment. Find those studies here.
That said, many people have reduced their medication load under a doctor’s supervision. I get messages like the above post daily. Most aren’t as careful and well-thought out. Every day people say their lives have changed due to the information found at Cernovich.com
Here are two other messages from the past hour, one via Twitter and another via email:
- “You are one of the (around 10) people that has made me change the course in my life. Reading Gorilla mindset (kindle-version) was very helpful.”
- “Mike, I appreciate everything you do. I think your book helped me. I haven’t told anyone this but I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a year ago. Had total thyroidectomy and neck dissection. As of now, all tests indicate that I am cancer free. I think your book helped me maintain a positive mindset since then.”
We are changing lives every day, and thank you for your messages!
It astounds me that people who are desperate won’t try a simple supplement like N-A-C. This is a mindset issue. “Doctor, heal me!” This passive mindset will lead to suffering.
Most people live a passive life, and wait for stuff to happen for them, or for people to give them the keys to the kingdom. You must actively seek out answers unique to your situation.
I don’t sell Jarrow’s N-A-C. It’s what I take. I gain nothing other than your goodwill by recommending it.
Although Gorilla Dream contains 500 mg of GABA, the high dose I wrote about and use myself comes from another company, NOW FOODS, which I have no connection to.
As always, do your own research and nothing here is medical advice.
Obsessive compulsive and related disorders are a collection of debilitating psychiatric disorders in which the role of glutamate dysfunction in the underpinning neurobiology is becoming well established. N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is a glutamate modulator with promising therapeutic effect. This paper presents a systematic review of clinical trials and case reports exploring the use of NAC for these disorders. A further objective was to detail the methodology of current clinical trials being conducted in the area.
Also suffered for recurring Mono for years that did physical and mental damage. Taking NAC has been remarkably helpful, and I am planning to start GABA with clearance from my doctor since there may be some medication interaction. Thanks for sharing your story!